Thursday, April 21, 2011

R is for Peggy Rathmann

Born:  1953
 
Excellent BooksGood Night, Gorilla; Officer Buckle and Gloria, and several others.  Peggy has won many awards for her books.

From Her Life:  Peggy grew up in suburbs in Minnesota with four siblings.  They played in plastic swimming pools in the summers and in snow in the winters.

Advice for Aspiring Writers:   Revise!  Make that manuscript perfect!  Good Night, Gorilla, one of Peggy's picture books, went through ten different endings over the course of two years.  When it was finally perfect, it received an ALA Notable Children's Book Award (1994).

Websitehttp://www.peggyrathmann.com/index.html

6 comments:

Laura S. said...

Wow, ten endings! Good for her for keeping at it until she found the right one. That's a great lesson for all writers!

Carla said...

I'm so glad she kept at it, too--my kids have loved Good Night, Gorilla!

Carla

shelly said...

Sounds interseting! Good Night, Gorilla! Maybe I'll read it for fun. I've got two grandchildren coming this year. One in November and the other in July.

Carla said...

Aw, congratulations Shelly! This is one book that I have actually seen infants and toddlers love.

Carla

Anonymous said...

That's a great piece of information! I need to tell my students that, they hate revising!

Carla said...

Students and adults alike...revising can be a beast!

Carla

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You make my day brighter!