1. Start with your manuscript for a picture book, article, or one chapter from a longer work. Write down the total words.
2. Cut the total words in half. Yes, you read it right...in half! This is your target word count. Write it down!
3. Start chopping! You will need to chop because just plucking a word here or there won't do it. You can always add things back in if you feel like you've changed too much, but wait a few days. Do you really need that description, that conversation, or that detail? Remember your goal is to show as much as possible with as few words as necessary. It's a lot of fun to see how different your work can be when it's forced down to half the original length. It's also good practice to help train yourself to be able to say more with less!
Let me know how it goes! I'd love to cheer for you!
In other news...
I want to shout out congratulations to Jo and Dawn for taking on the 50-Word Challenge last week! I totally enjoyed their stories! If anyone else wants to try it (just for fun!), feel free--I rarely close comments!
And now, for some awards!
Last week I received two blogging awards! Stuff like this brings out all sorts of silly grins--it brightens my day and makes me want to learn how to turn cartwheels! I am delighted to pass them on, too!
First, thank you Abby at Something To Write About for the 7 x 7 Award! Her blog is full of wonderful posts related to writing and things that might interest writers.
For this award, I choose a blog post for each of seven categories...so, here you go!
Beating a Fear of Success
MOST HELPFUL: Writers, How Well Do You Know Your Audience?
MOST POPULAR: eReaders For Kids
MOST CONTROVERSIAL: Lessons/Morals in Picture Books
MOST SURPRISINGLY SUCCESSFUL: P is for Al Perkins
MOST UNDERRATED: What Do Kids Read?
MOST PRIDE-WORTHY: Dreaming Big
I would like to pass this award on to the following blogs:
The Writing Nut
Next, thank you to Elizabeth at Elizabeth Anne Writes for the Versatile Blogger Award! Elizabeth writes in many genres and has lots of information for writers on her blog!
For this award I tell you seven things about myself! So, here you go:
2. I love to try new things...especially food! This week, I've tried three new recipes and loved them all...Mmmm!
3. I'm slightly germaphobic. I used to be extremely germaphobic, but then I had a little boy who seems to desperately want to cure me.
4. I have a small in-home daycare.
5. I'm a serious science nerd. College only encouraged me.
6. My favorite places in China are probably gardens, Yellow Mountain, and the Great Wall area. It's no coincidence that they're all outdoors.
7. Laughing makes me happy. Life is funny. It feels good to laugh about it.
Well, there you have it! I'm going to pass this award on to the following bloggers:
(note: Original Versatile Blogger Rules say to pass this on to 15 others...but, since I'm versatile, I'm passing it on to 5!)
The Restless Writer
Of Thoughts and Words
Children's Books Heal