Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Dreaming Big

Roger and Hammerstein's Cinderella has a delightful scene where Cinderella dreams of going to the ball.  When her fairy godmother arrives and makes the dream come true they sing the duet Impossible.  I love this part of the refrain: 

And because these daft and dewy-eyed dopes keep building up impossible hopes,
Impossible things are happening every day!

I'm starting a writing blog because I have some impossible dreams of my own, and I am just "daft and dewy-eyed" enough to expect them to come true!  I want to write books for children.

I am not very far on this particular road of dreams.  I have written articles for a variety of magazines, ranging from Odyssey to The Dollar Stretcher and I have done a lot of freelance work through the internet.  While I have written for many years, this journey really began in 2007 when I decided that I should write articles and magazines should publish them.  My first submission was so far from perfect that I was not even sent a rejection letter.  It was, however, the beginning of my foray into the world of magazine publishing...an adventure that I am loving!

A few months ago I had another thought:  I should write books for children and someone should publish them.  I have since sent out a couple manuscripts, but I have yet to see the magic.  Still, I am undaunted.  It took me a while to learn to write for magazines and I expect it will take a while to figure out books.  I would love to have you join me in this new adventure!  Leave a comment and let me know who you are and where to find your blog!

I still continue to write articles.  In fact, on this blog I will sometimes post writing tips I've learned.  You might also find writing announcements, book reviews, publisher spotlights, agent tips, book giveaways and introductions to other authors.  Have you recently been published?  I would love to highlight new authors too.  You'll also hear about my writing experiences.  Anything that fits the writing theme fits this blog.

Welcome to my world.

Carla

4 comments:

Karen Cioffi said...

Hi, Carla. Thanks for the comment at http:karenandrobyn.blogspot.com

I just wanted to let you know I haven't removed the free Writing for Children One Step at Time from the new subscribers gifts.

So, if you'd still like it sign up for my newsletter tomorrow. I'll probably remove it sometime Saturday - I haven't had the time to to change it yet. :)

Debbie Maxwell Allen said...

Carla, I'm so excited for you. I write for children, also, though I am pre-published as well. Keep dreaming big and learning--it will happen if you don't give up.

~Debbie

Linda Garner said...

Hi Carla,
I enjoyed all of your posts. I wish you well on your journey to publishing. It's a wild ride, and worth doing. I look forward to seeing your first book in print. Linda Garner

Carla said...

Karen, thanks...I did get the e-book! You have many, many useful ideas!

Debbie and Linda, Thanks so much for your encouragement! It's so very motivating to read your friendly notes!

~Carla

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You make my day brighter!