Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Beauties of Being Down

Photo by Malingering at Wikimedia.
My daughter has been doing a lot of somersaults and assisted flips lately--she's in a gymnastics class at The Little Gym.  While she had no problem climbing, jumping, and flipping, the balance beam was intimidating.  She wanted someone to just give her a finger so she wouldn't tip while she walked.  What she needed was to fall.

If she fell, she would see how painless it is.

Writers need to fall too.

It's important.

Sometimes we need to write that story just to get our ideas down and start over.  It's not nearly as painful as you expect.  Sometimes we need rejection letters to really find our best work.

The beautiful thing about being down is that you don't need to be afraid of falling.  You know exactly how it feels.  The only thing left to fear is success!

I'm happy to report that my daughter has fallen off the balance beam.  Now she is more confident on it.  Sometimes it is good to fall down.

9 comments:

Debbie Maxwell Allen said...

What a great analogy, Carla!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Yes! What an excellent point. Thanks for the reminder. :-)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Fantastic post! Rejections are just part of the process and they do help us to be better writers :)

BK Mattingly said...

Someone once told me, if you don't fall, then you'll never know what it means to fly. It always stuck with me :) Great post!

Carla said...

It's an especially good reminder for me. I think there are times when I'm as nervous about falling as my daughter! Thanks for the comments!

Susan R. Mills said...

Great analogy! So true.

Diana Smith said...

We were just talking about this in my English class last night. Although writing isnt my forte, I do enjoy it!

Laura S. said...

I love this! I'm a huge gymnastics fan! I used to do gymnastics, too, and balance beam was my favorite. And you're right about the falling thing: sometimes when you fall, or fail, it helps boost your confidence for next time because you realize it wasn't as bad as you thought. Isn't it funny how that is? Great analogy, Carla!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love meeting other children's writers!

Carla said...

Thanks, Susan!

Diana, that's so funny! It's like we just can't help writing.

That's awesome, Laura! I'm a bigger fan of gymnastics each day! I'm often surprised by what can actually be confidence boosters.

~Carla

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You make my day brighter!